Monday, April 23, 2012

Cakes of February

1. Half-baked chocolate cake from Sensei Sushi Bar


My good friend Patty and I decided to have a pre-valentines date last Feb 13.  Since both of us were going through something we both were unsure of, a date with a girlfriend was very much needed for some bonding time.  I suggested to have dinner at Sensei Sushi Bar in BF because of their unique selection of japanese food and the quiet ambiance.  The south has always been my go-to place when I need some peace and quiet.  I got there an hour and half early so I had some alone time before Patty arrived.  Being by myself does not really bother me, in fact, I actually enjoy it because I get to reflect and just think of myself.  These are the times I bond with myself and feel liberated from all the stress in my life.  I was the only one in the restaurant that evening and the waiters were very accomodating and warm.  This old lady even explained why she wasn't in her uniform.  It was heart-warming. It made me feel I was at home being served by familiar people(I'm shallow like that).  I'd say, the service was terrific.  When Patty arrived, she felt so bad for being late and offered to treat me for a dessert.  Why, of course!  I never say no to dessert.  So i ordered their dessert that I have always wanted to try; the half-baked chocolate cake topped with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce!  It was moist  and chewy and had a jello like texture only thicker, but the vanilla ice cream neutralizes its heaviness.  It was SO GOOD!  Everything went well together.  The chocolate cake wasn't that sweet but the caramel sauce just gave it the right amount of sweetness.  It was sinful but refreshing because of the mangoes.   This dessert just sealed the deal of a good evening.  A good conversation with a good friend plus a great dessert just made my Valentines complete.  No need for a prince charming! =)      

2. Bananalicious from Conti's


My cousin bought this for my mom for Valentines.  This was our dessert after a very hefty meal.  I'm not a big fan of bananas though I know how nutritious it is(and good for dieting!).  I just don't like the texture and sometimes the taste.  Anyway, since I had to have my dessert, I tried this cake.  It's Conti's Bananalicious cake.  It was sooooo good!  I love the combination of the caramel and the crust with the right amount of cream on top.  The bananas inside were just the right amount for my taste.  You could taste everything with every bite!  And it wasn't that sweet.  i don't like my cakes too sweet.  I would say this is even better than Banaple's Banoffee cake.  My family and I finished the whole thing!  It was that good. This was my Valentines celebration. I didn't spend it with my special someone but I was as happy and complete as I could ever be.  I was right where I belong, with my family. 



3. Chocolate cake from Tous Les Jours



When I got home from our family dinner, I was surprised to see this cake on my bed.  It was my mom's gift to me for Valentines.  She knows how much I love surprises!  I feel bad I didn't get her anything.  I love my mom dearly.  She's just the sweetest!  =)  

No comments:

Post a Comment