Wednesday, August 15, 2012

2nd's, Fort



2nd's is the restaurant in the corner of Quadrant 3 in Bonifacio High Street (beside Agave and across Cav) which used to be Magnet.  It is located on the second floor, so I'm assuming that's why its called 2nd's.  I like their food and the ambiance.  Its very intimate and private, good for family dinners and dates. 

I tried their bestseller, the buffalo bacon chicharon.  I was excited to try this because this is the one they are famous for.  But to my dismay, it did not meet my expectations.  It was too sour for me and did not have the crunch a normal chicharon would have.  It was like a thickened bacon with the texture of Marty's vegetable chicharon in a sour barbeque sauce.  The blue cheese dip made it tolerable.  My family and I were not able to finish this dish. So i'll rate this 1 out of 5.  You may opt not to try when you are in 2nd's.

Buffalo Bacon Chicharon

For the appetizer, we ordered the Angus Salpicao Foie Gras and after just 10 minutes when it arrived on our table, it was gone!  This dish was so good, my family and I loved it.  The beef was soft and tender with just the right amount of salt.  Almost perfect, i'd say.  There was even small chunks of fat, that were so rich and tasty.  I got the privilege to eat the only piece of foie gras served on top of it(unfortunately, there was only one piece) and it was unforgettable.  Even after months later, I could still recall the taste and texture of this one and it always makes me want to go back to this restaurant.  This is a simple dish that's flavorful and definitely worth trying.  I'd give it a 4 out of 5.


Angus Salpicao with Foie Gras


 The smoked caprese salad was very healthy and refreshing.  I liked the combination of the cheese and fresh tomato layered on top of each other with its sauce(I forget what the sauce was).  If you want a new twist on your salad, try this one!  It won't fail you.  This has got to be a 3 out of 5.

Smoked Caprese Tower
Smoked Caprese Tower


 The 2nd's bistek tagalog was my dad's order.  It was also good, its not like your usual bistek at home but there is a resemblance with the taste.  The beef was soft and tender as well and the sauce flavorful but it was not something we have not tasted before.  I'd say its an upgraded version of the home-made bistek tagalog.  I'd give it a 3 out of 5.

2nd's Bistek Tagalog


Oh the lamb shepherd's pie... This is my favorite!  It's lamb steak at the bottom, covered by mashed potatoes then sealed with melted cheese! Oh, I just love this dish!  It's filling and very satisfying.  Each bite makes you want to eat more of it.  I just can't get enough of this dish.  It's a 5 for me!

Lamb Shepherd's Pie




For dessert, we ordered the one with the longest name.  It sounded interesting so we tried it.  It was just cake on a beer glass.  It wasn't so bad.  We enjoyed sharing it.  It was light and creamy and not too sweet.  Bitin. I'd give it a 2.


Rum Cake and Mascarpone Trifle

 Overall, I'd give it a 4 out of 5.    The main course meals are good! Very satisfactory and worth trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment